Friday, February 16, 2007

Teen Can't Shake Hiccups After 3 Weeks


My ISP's news report today had this headline:

Teen Can't Shake Hiccups After 3 Weeks
Friday, February 16th, 2007 at 1:43pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.

For more than three weeks, despite medical tests and home remedies, a teenager has been hiccuping. A lot.

In fact, Jennifer Mee is hiccuping close to 50 times a minute, stopping only when she's sleeping.

The 15-year-old has had blood tests, a CT scan and an MRI since the fits started Jan. 23. Drugs haven't worked. Neither has holding her breath, putting sugar under her tongue, sipping pickle juice, breathing into a paper bag and drinking from the wrong side of a glass.

And, yes, people have tried to scare them out of her.

According to the National Institutes of Health, hiccups can be triggered by anything from spicy foods to stress, and they can start for no reason at all. They're caused by involuntary contractions of the diaphragm, which causes the vocal cords to close briefly, making that distinctive sound.

It's painful, Jennifer told NBC's "Today" show Friday, trying to talk through her hiccups. She said the rapid contractions hurt in her back and chest.

Jennifer's mother, Rachel Robidoux, turned to a newspaper for help, but the suggestions of hundreds of readers have failed.

"I'm just looking for some answers where somebody's gone through this," Robidoux told the St. Petersburg Times. "At this point, we're willing to do anything."




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope this reaches the teen and her mom who put out the plea for relief. I tried to reach the papers that carried the AP story but of course they do not take comments. Kind of ironic, since the title says the mom puts out a plea...how will she find it? I'm hoping the great blogs will reach her.
I posted a story for you/her on divinecaroline.com. Here is the link.
http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22182/26806
You do not have to hold your breath or jump on one leg. Just drink. I have suffered my whole life and this always works. Please let me know if it works for you or if you need further explanantion. You can always comment to me.
I know you will find relief. This even works on my children who seem to have Mommy's hiccups.

My best wishes for your relief!